Friday, June 27, 2008

Well that sucked!

It was hot on Wednesday. REALLY hot. I got to the track early. I see Angel and a couple of her friends. So, me being me, I offer to help pace them and get them through their workout. No sweat right? It was good. The sun was not. No shade, heat coming off of the track, I'm still ok at this point. Finish up with them, wound up doing 1.25 miles. No biggie. Get some water, stretch a little. Feeling good. THEN, the main group files in. Bigger showing than last week. Ok, ok. I'm, hmmm, feeling a little hot at this point. Oh, and the stupid shirts that we have to wear, even though they're wicking, are frickin HOT. No circulation at all. Ewwww. I only have one of these. I wash it almost every day.

Soooooo, I warm up (ha!) with the intermediate group. We're going out for a 1.75 mile run. I'm thinking I'll be ok. I visualize the route, I've run it countless times before. Hmmm, there are some hills, but nothing terrible. I can handle it. (another HA!) So we hit the road. I'm with a really nice girl, Lindsay. It's her 1st year of training for the 4 miler. She's doing great. I AM NOT. I pardon myself, say I have to walk for a minute, and tell her to plug away. How embarrassing is that? I walk for a few minutes, and pick up the pace again. I catch back up to her. She's ok. I run with her again, up a hill. Did it get steeper? Then I get really lightheaded. I see spots. I STOP IN MY TRACKS. PL Gail asks me if I'm ok. Not really, but I'll make it. I wog back to the track and almost cry when I realize we'll be stretching out in the middle of the track, where there is NO SHADE. I am about to pass out at this point. I opt out for the shade, pour cold water on myself, and try to keep my lunch inside my body. It was ugly. It was also 95 degrees and HUMID. I also just got my period. So, my lesson is, stick with my original training group. Don't be a hero. I will never forget this............

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Summer running sucks. I think you proved my point!

Jenn said...

Ugh, the heat and humidity kill me too. It's been a hot/humid week in Chicago, so I've been doing treadmill runs. Hoping to get outside later today. Like the blog, I'll be back!

Anonymous said...

I tagged you. Check out my blog to read about it...

plum

Followers

About Me

My photo
I LOVE running, I'm just really bad at it!