Sunday, March 7, 2010

Finding the silver lining

It's been a rough few weeks. The snow, stomach virus, work stress and running have all taken their toll on me. FINALLY the snow is melting. It's supposed to be 60* here today. I believe I'll be taking advantage of that a little later.

So last weekend I was supposed to run 12 miles for my long run. It started out ok. I didn't mind running on frozen patches of snow/ice along the river. It's kinda spooky back there. Somewhere I'll never run alone. We (me and Diane) met up with Nadia for our 2nd leg of our run. I knew I had to take it easy but I was so uncomfortable running slower. So against my better judgement, I ran how I felt. Those 3.5 miles were done at a 10:15 pace. That's FAST for me. I'm a 12 min mile girl. I also knew at that point I was screwed. The last 4 miles were TERRIBLE. I didn't hit the 12 mile mark. Damn. I was just too tired.

Today I was supposed to have my last "official" long run before my half on 3/21. It's not going to happen. We received some devastating news last night. My cousin Mark Linkous committed suicide. He's been a sad soul for a very long time. He was an incredibly talented musician. He did everything. Songwriting, singing, guitar, keyboard, producing...everything. If you're curious, the name of his band is Sparklehorse. I hope he has finally found peace.

So here's my silver lining.....I have my health. I am joyfully happy. I know I am loved. When I'm feeling down, I know I can depend on my family and friends to lift me. I am thankful for these things everyday.

2 comments:

Running Diva Mom said...

Just found your blog. I hope that you are now able to enjoy Spring and the warmer weather ... hopefully. Winter and running is tough. I live int he midwest and it was 70's theother day and now we had snow again yesterday?!? What the heck. Treadmill has unfortunately been my friend all winter. But I want to say buh-bye!

I'm a slow runner said...

Yes, spring is WONDERFUL. What a difference a month makes. Sorry about your snow. Yuck. I have a love/hate relationship with my treadmill. I've even named her. Her name is Bitch. Sometimes she's Ms. Bitch, sometimes she's sonofabitch. :) She hasn't let me down yet.

Happy Running!

plum

Followers

About Me

My photo
I LOVE running, I'm just really bad at it!