Well, the start of training has officially started. I don't know why, but I was so nervous and intimidated to run my time trial. Ed was so sweet about the whole thing. He made me go to bed early and even rubbed my back until I fell asleep. How wonderful! I woke up at 4:45 to try and collect myself. We had to be at the track at 6am WARMED UP. What that meant to me was, get there at 5:40 and start running. It was nice out. A bit humid, but nice. So much better than the freaking monsoons we've been having. So Mark gets all of us grumpy runners together and tells us not to be nervous, try to run a bit faster than your 5k pace. We line up, me being in the back of course, and off we go. There are a few women behind me and one pulls up next to me and starts chatting. GREAT. Ugh. I was trying not to be rude. Really. But she kept going on and on about how long have I been running, how far have I run, omg. I told her that I wanted to stay on track for a 22:XX finish. Great, she says. She'd love to stick with me. Ummm, ok? So I stay focused and try to stay on pace. I do NOT want to blow this. Well, about a mile into it, I hear this beeping. It's not my garmin, I have the sound turned off. I look at her and ask if she knows what the beeping noise is. She says she thought it was me. Nope, not me. It was her HR monitor! I looked at her and said, "you might want to consider slowing down". I swear it was beeping every 1o seconds! So she backed off, and wished me luck. I thought that was really sweet considering I had not said but a handful of words to her! Before I forget to mention, the FAST people had all lapped me several times. The first 2 guys finished as I was just completing my 1st mile. WOW! So anyways, I finish, with barely any kick in 22:26. I was thrilled! I start walking and UH OH. I puke. I at least got off of the track in time, but damn! Just as soon as I think I'm done, nope. How embarrassing! At least the only person who saw me was the mom of the young boy that finished 1st. I apologized for the gross factor, but to be honest, it didn't look like it bothered her at all. Thank God! A hand full of my friends were running the trials too. They were part of the fast group that went blazing by me. They finished in 14:30 to 15 minutes. Disgusting!!!
So now that the 1st test is over, I'm wondering what pace group Mark will put me in. I hope nothing under an 11:30 pace. I don't think I could handle that!
Sunday, June 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
plum
Followers
My Blog List
-
-
Back by popular demand...11 years ago
-
2013 Cherokee 5 Miler13 years ago
-
Failsauce16 years ago
-
-
-

3 comments:
Slow, but hardcore! Whoa! Good luck!
Well, at least you know you didn't hold anything back. You left it all out there.
What's up in your world? I haven't been around in awhile and it appears you haven't either! Time for an update! I hope everything is going great for you!
Post a Comment